PAINTER, JOHN VICKERS
Fig. Photograph of John Vickers Painter circa 1889
J. V. Painter, as he is popularly known, was an outstanding stamp collector and was esteemed by collectors and dealers in America and Europe.
John Vickers Painter (1835-1903), was born on July 20, 1835 at West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania, son of Samuel Marshall Painter (1809-1884), and Ann Vickers (1810-1890). His ancestors accompanied William Penn from England to the North American colonies.
He received his education at Haverford College.
He worked for the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company.
Painter entered the banking business remaining there until June 1, 1873.
On October 31, 1854 he married Frances Bacon (1836-1856), who died in childbirth to their daughter Lelia Marian Painter on August 20, 1856.
On January 17, 1861, he married Lydia Ethel Farmer (1842-1909), and they had a son Kenyon Vickers Painter (1867-1940).
Figs. Correspondence from Edward Baker Sterling to John Vickers Painter, postmarked December 28, 1883. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.
He was vice-president of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railway Company.
In 1886, he formed the Cleveland Stone Company jointly with his student in philately, George H. Worthington, and Painter became the vice-president. The firm controlled sandstone quarries throughout Ohio and became the foundation for an expanding portfolio of enterprises.
He served as director to the Cleveland Trust Company; the Citizens Savings and Trust Company; the Republic Iron Company; and the Springsteen Medicine Company.
He was a trustee of the Cleveland Museum of Art.
He served as treasurer and trustee of the John Huntington Benevolent Trust.
He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and of the Union, Roadside, Country, and Euclid Clubs.
He sold his stamp collection at auction excluding the entire envelopes.
He died at his home, 704 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, on August 13, 1903 . He is buried in Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
Mekeel's Stamp Collector, (1903) : 463
The London Philatelist, Vol. 12 (1903) : 220-221