GREEN, BENJAMIN G.

Fig. 1. Photo of Ben G. Green looking his best from a front view with his nicely cropped full beard wearing a man's boater hat, the ANA medal issued in 1912 and  a ribbon on his lapel. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.

Copyright © 2011-2017 John N. Lupia III

Benjamin G. Green (1860-1914)
, was born 
at Franklin Township, Mercer County, Ohio on March 16, 1860, son of Thomas Green (1832-1919), and Sarah Jane Preston (1836-1926), both natives of Ohio. In his early youth his family moved to Piqua, Ohio. After completing his public school studies, in 1878, he entered the newly chartered (1849) private school organized by the Church of United Brethren in Christ outside Columbus founded by Philip William Otterbein, for whom the school was named, "The Otterbein University of Ohio", Westerville, Ohio. He taught school part-time while there. After graduation in 1882 he traveled throughout thirty states and territories in America until 1886. He began coin collecting as a child and before leaving Otterbein already amassed a fairly large collection of coins and stamps. 
Fig. 
2. Engraving of Otterbein prepared for the 1876 Centennial showing how it looked when Ben Green was a student there. The school was newly constructed and dedicated on August 10, 1871 after the devastating fire of 1870 . This is an illustration found in George W. Knight and John R. Commons, The History of Higher Education in Ohio (Washington, D.C., 1891).

        His religious upbringing and mild manner as a salesman  formed him as being one of the most affable and congenial numismatists in the first two decades of the twentieth century, though his life was cut short in 1914. 

        On December 25, 1888, he married Minnie E. Nutt (1866-post 1930), at Dayton, Ohio. They lived at Cincinnati and had a daughter named Mabel (1892-). Green worked for Edward and Theodore Pape and Emil Kugemann in the Cincinnati firm of Pape Bros. & Kugemann selling art moldings, picture frames, and mirrors.
Fig. 3. Engraving of the Pape Brothers & Kugemann salesroom and offices at 137-141 Main Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. An engraving illustration from D. J. Kenny, Illustrated Cincinnati ( Cincinnati, 1875) : 184. The company manufactured and sold gilt moldings, and veneered moldings imitating solid Rose wood or Walnut, and enameled moldings of all colors, gilt framed mirrors, ornamental picture frames, and other artistic framing materials.

         In 1890, he left the firm of the Pape Brothers & Kugemann and moved to Chicago where he continued to work as a salesman but promoted to sales manager for Charles Traux, and Dr. Frank C. Greene, MD, in the newly formed firm of Truax, Greene & Company, 75-77 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, manufacturers of various pills, surgical chairs, wheelchairs and invalids' furnishings, including artificial limbs and crutches, trusses, and an oscillating air pump, and so on. The company had published in 1889 a fourteen-page catalogue which Green used as a salesman. He planned and set up the company exhibit for the 1893 Columbian Exposition held at Chicago from May to October. Nine years later he began to hold coin auction sales.

Figs 4 & 5. Top photo of Charles Truax the principal in the firm of Truax, Greene & Company, for whom Ben Green worked twelves years as a sales manger. Bottom photo Dr. Frank C. Greene the partner in the firm who graduated from the Peddie School, Hightown, New Jersey, where Hiram E. Deats also graduated. Afterwards Frank Greene attended the Jefferson Medical College where Dr. Edward Maris also graduated. The company sold supplies to physicians and hospitals. Photos from Royal L. La Touche and John Henry Potter, Chicago and Its Resources Twenty Years After 1871-1891 : A Commercial History (Chicago, 1892) : 211.

         According to the 1900 U. S. Census he lived on Larchmont Avenue, Chicago, Illinois and was employed as a manager of the prosthetic department of Truax, Greene & Co. Green moved into Chicago where the coin industry had been well developed a quarter of a century earlier by Silas Curtis Stevens (1837-1919) the renown coin dealer who began selling coins and stamps on Dearborn Street,  Chicago in 1877 and also by Archie L. Doherty who certainly must have known and influenced Ben Green especially since Doherty sold coins at 1130 Masonic Temple Building Chicago from 1893 to 1898. Both Steven & Co., established in 1873, and and Doherty's U. S. Coin & Stamp Exchange established 1893, managed the Chicago market that contained two Titan buyers C. F. Gunther, the famous chocolatier and founder of a Museum in Chicago, and Virgil Michael Brand heir and owner of the Brand Brewing Company of Chicago. Green's much younger contemporary, Theophile E. Leon (1875-1930), had not yet begun dealing in coins. Green eventually joined the ANA in 1900. 

Figs.
 
6 & 7 & 8 & 9. Top (Fig. 6) : Ben G. Green sending in his bids to the Chapman Brothers  for their auction held May 19th while manager of sales for Truax. Greene & Co., Chicago using their stationery. Letter postmarked May 14, 1900 8:30 A.M. Chicago American Machine Flag Cancel B-14, with die No. 5, franked with Scott # 279Bc Rose Carmine with its left edge guide line intact. A real scarce beauty. The Chapmans coded his bids "Friend". Middle Upper (Fig. 7) : Ben Green purchased $90.89 in rare coins from the Chapmans, postmarked May 29, 1900, 7 PM, Chicago, Illinois, Chicago American Machine Flag Cancel B-14, with die "No. 27" franked with another Scott # 279Bc Rose Carmine with its top edge from a booklet. Middle Lower (Fig. 8) : Ben Green dealing in coins with the Chapmans where he sent a coin on approval to Dr. Disbrow in Newark, New Jersey billed for $2.42, and his $5.00 order for Stamps. This letter is postmarked June 7, 1900 at 7:30 P.M. Barry machine Type-H canceled by Canceller Die No. 5 with No. 1 on third bar, franked with another Scott # 279Bc Rose Carmine. Bottom (Fig. 9) : Green sent a payment in cash for $3.74 and an order for a coin that cost $1.50. Postmarked November 30, 1900, 7 PM, Chicago American Machine Flag Cancel B-14, with die No. 3, franked by another beautiful Scott # 279Bc Rose Carmine. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library, Special Collection, The Chapman Family Correspondence Archive.

            In the May 1901 issue of The Numismatist, on page 131, he changed his address to 2343 Magnolia Street, Chicago, Illinois. Four years later in May 1905 he would buy a nicer house down the same street at no. 75, and rent out the one at 2343 Magnolia Street as a landlord.

            On February 20, 1902, he held his first coin auction sale. He held these sales of coin collections on a commission basis in what he called mail auctions conducted at his home in Edgewater, a lakefront community on the North side of Chicago. In all he held eighty-four auctions with the final sale sold posthumously on January 23, 1914. The first eighteen sales from February 1902 to September 1905 were mail bid auction sales printed in 16mo (5-3/4" - 6-3/4" in height).  The early catalogues were composed much like the catalogues Green was used to selling picture frame moldings and prosthetic devices that were rather bland and nondescript treating the coins much like merchandise to be sold as retail. The later auctions were all public auctions conducted by veteran Chicago auctioneer Dan Long at Green's office in the Masonic Temple Building. The gross take on his first twenty sales was $40,000.

Fig. 10. Earliest known business stationery of Ben G. Green with his new mailing address at 2343 Magnolia Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. This letter sent to the Chapman Brothers postmarked March 3, 1902, 4:30 PM Chicago International Machine Cancel Type D-22, which was installed November 26, 1900 one year and four months earlier. This Machine is No. 13-D. The letter was an order for coins just six months before he strikes out on his own getting an office in the Masonic Temple Building, Chicago.  Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library, Special Collection, The Chapman Family Correspondence Archive.

            In June 1902 he donated to the ANA library a copy of Martin Leake, Historical Account of English Money (1735).

Fig. 11. Earliest ad for his book Numismatist's Reference Check Book in the July and in the August 1902 issues of Philatelic West, Vol. XX, Nos. 1 and 2. The 1793 Liberty Cap Half Cent C-2 image used on all his corporate collateral was borrowed from Lyman Low's advertisements. Courtesy Lupia numismatic Library, Special Collection, Philatelic West. The first edition was a flexible leather pocket edition with gilt edges, Numismatist's Reference and Check Book: Being A List of Coins Issued By The U. S. Mint And Branches, With Principal Varieties, Private Issues of Gold, Paper, Fractional Currency and Encased Postage Stamps, With Provisions For Checking and Recording The Pieces In A Collection. It was published in several editions, interleaved or not interleaved and in a cheaper binding. A few months after advertising in the Philatelic West he ran his first quarter page ad for the book in the December 1902 issue of The Numismatist and kept an ad running for several years.  He published his Second Edition of this book in 1912.

             On September 15, 1902 he opened his own office at the Masonic Temple. According to a notice published in the October 1902 issue and in the July 1906 issue of  The Numismatist he began to combine his coin and stamp business with that of prosthetic devices at 1533 Masonic Temple. This assertion is substantiated by his numerous ads in Chicago newspapers from September 1902 on  including The Inter Ocean and Chicago Daily Tribune.  In December 1902 he began placing a few times per week two line ads selling trusses or crutches and in another classified section also with two lines he sold coins and stamps  in Chicago's newspaper, The Inter Ocean. 

Fig. 12. Logo of the Chicago Numismatic Society founded January 1904. The central design is of the ancient Greek silver Tetradrachm of Athens 510-490 BC with the olive sprig and Athene noctua, (the night owl of Athens) hammered with the die creating an incuse square. Illustration in Philatelic West, Vol. 39, No. 1, December (1907) : near back. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library, Special Collection, Philatelic West.

            It was at the Masonic Temple that Green attracted several important collectors from the Chicago area that fall and winter, including Virgil Michael Brand, and about a year later they formed the Chicago Numismatic Society. In 1941 William G. Jerrems, Jr., the aged first president of the ANA wrote his reminiscences about meeting Ben Green in 1901 and their interest in forming a Chicago Society. 

Fig. 13. Early advertisement of Ben G. Green in the May 1903 issue of Philatelic West, Vol. XXIII, No. 2. 8th leaf recto from front. This same ad ran nearly continuously through December 1903  3rd leaf verso from back. The illustration of the Roman coin with Greek inscription was borrowed from Thomas L. Elder's stationery. (See Elder, Thomas Lindsay, Fig. 4.) Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library, Special Collection, Philatelic West.

            In 1904, he served as secretary and librarian of the Chicago Numismatic Society (CNS), which he help found. He served in these capacities until his untimely death in January 1914. In the early years many meetings of the CNS were held in Ben Green's salesroom at the Masonic Temple.

Fig. 
14. Second earliest business stationery of Ben G. Green with his store at 1533 Masonic Temple, Chicago, Illinois. Note he sells his Catalogue of U. S. Coins for 10 cents. This correspondence sent franked with Scott# 300-A115, blue green 1c, postmarked October 10, 1903, 12 PM, Chicago, Illinois, Chicago International Cancel Machine D-22, die No.9 with blank or missing slug below, to noted Canadian collector and lawyer and Government Inspector of Weights and Measures, James Henry Reddin at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Islands. Reddin sold Prince Edward Island Pennies through the February 1899 issue The NumismatistCourtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.

        Early in his numismatic career Ben Green devised a numeric grading system for coins from 1-9 with Proof grade being number one and Poor as 9. This grading system was revived in 1926 by Julius Guttag and a few years later in 1928 by Robert H. Lloyd in his article, "A Suggested Classification," published in The Numismatist.
        On May 13, 1905, he auctioned off at his sixteenth mail bid auction sale, an 1839 Dollar, and a Proof 1878  Dollar.
        At the 20th regular meeting of the Chicago Numismatic Society he read a paper "On the U. S. Necessity Money" accompanied with an exhibition of Bechtler and Mormon private gold pieces.
        Beginning May 14, 1905, he ran ads in The Inter Ocean to rent his 9 room house on Magnolia Street for $43 per month.

Fig. 15. Ben Green's ad in Inter Ocean, Sunday, October 1, 1905, page 28. 

Fig. 16. Ben Green's ad in Inter Ocean, Sunday, January 7, 1906, page 24.

        On May 25, 1906 he sold at auction in lot 443 an 1829 Type II Half Eagle.
        In July 1906 it was reported he had nearly 700 varieties of Masonic mark pennies considered one of the most complete in the world.
        In June 1907, he traveled with Virgil Brand and Theophile E. Leon to the Matthew A. Stickney Sale at Philadelphia held by Henry Chapman. Also, that year he conducted his thirty-second auction sale, the earliest known ANA coin auction sale. In The Numismatist that year he was referred to as Dr. Ben G. Green.
        In September 1907 he was elected Librarian of the ANA.
Fig. 
17. Ben Green's 43d Coin Auction Sale of the late S. H. Kerfoot, Sr., and the late N. K. Beckwith, et alia. Kerfoot was the first president and Beckwith the first secretary of the Chicago Numismatic Society. Kerfoot had a decent though small collection of Large Cents and U. S. Colonial coins, but the majority of his collection was foreign coins. N. K. Beckwith collected foreign coins. Five other collections were mainly U. S. coins, private gold, Colonial coins, tokens, medals, paper money. These were strong in Early American copper. Green's address at this time in 1535 Masonic Temple. This design was his corporate image or branding identification, a plain green paper stock with an engraved image of a 1793 Liberty Cap Half Cent C-2 image used on all his corporate collateral.  The cut for the Half Cent was borrowed from Lyman Low's advertisements. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.

        On November 27, 1908, at his forty-fourth sale he auctioned of an 1884 Trade Dollar that sold for a record $280 to Judson Brenner. The sale was so enthralling that it got widespread attention and ran in major newspapers, "To Sell Rare Trade Dollar. Coin Dated 1884 Said To Be The Only One In Existence," The New York Times, Sunday, November 22, 1908, page 13; and the post auction sale report, "Watch For the 1884 Trade Dollar," The Hartford Republican, Friday, December 4, 1908, page 1. At that sale Ben Green bought the 1799 Large Cent for $82.50, and a copper 1856 Flying Eagle Cent for $31, and the Nickel 1856 Flying Eagle Cent for $37.50.
        On April 16, 1909, he held his forty-seventh sale, and sold a very rare 1908 Gold Proof Set for $6. Green was the only dealer to buy a 1908 Gold Proof Set together with five coin collectors. The sets not sold by the U. S. Mint were destroyed.
Fig. 18. Ben Green's tongue in cheek ad in the November 1909 The Numismatist on page 327. Green's positional statement "The only numismatic dealer in the West holding Public Auction Sales". Of course, B. Max Mehl held his 12th coin auction sale when this Ben G. Green ad was published. Green ran this ad January through May and in July and November 1910, and the entire years of 1911, 1912 and 1913, and posthumously up to February 1914 when it was replaced in the March issue with Minnie Green's ad. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.


        According to the 1910 U. S. Census he lived still lived at 2343 Magnolia Street, Chicago, Illinois and was employed as a Doctor owning his own shop. 
        At the ANA Annual Convention held in September 1910 at New York, The St. Louis Dispatch, Tuesday, September, 6, 1910, page 11, and several other newspapers reported that Ben Green exhibited his collection of Confederate Paper Money comprising 2,200 different bank notes.
        On February 24, 1911, he sold an 1856 Fly Eagle Cent in Very Fine condition for $12.50; an Unc. St. Gaudens $20  gold piece sold for $30.75; a 1797 U. S. Half Dollar in Good condition realized $35. There were two Confederate restrikes sold at that auction : the Cent sold for $12.50, and the Half Dollar for $9.10.  On May 12, 1911, the 1908 Gold Proof Set that he sold in 1909 for $6 now fetched $76. Also at that sale an 1820 North West Company token in Good condition sold for $25. Also that year on August 30th, his sixty-third auction sale was another ANA coin auction. During that year's ANA Annual Conventions he took part in the discussion regarding the Board of Governors allowing a coin dealer as one of its members.
        During his attendance for his last three ANA Annual Conventions, i.e., from 1911 to 1913 he exhibited his collection of about one hundred varieties of encased postage stamps, which was appraised as the finest known. It included the rare Hunt & Nash of Irving House, New York, English Penny Red postage stamp in wide use 1864-1880. 
            From July 27, 1912 until October 10, 1913 Ben G. Green held ten auctions of the Charles Morris Collection.  Before Ben G. Green began auctioning off the 10 part auction sales of Charles Morris, the Charles Morris Collection had already been sold twice. Earlier Morris’ collection of 1,255 lots was sold by the Chapman brothers on April 19-20, 1905. Later on his second collection combined with Richard L. Ashhurst of 709 lots sold through Henry Chapman, 17th sale. on June 30, 1911. Thirteen months later began the wave of ten Ben G. Green auctions featuring the coins of Charles Morris. 
 
 

Fig. 
19. Ben Green to Henry Chapman, jr. postmarked August 2, 1912, 6 P.M. with Chicago Time Marking Machine Cancel D-105, die No. 8 -C. Note the address is now 1535 Masonic Temple. His stationery is "bland" or as John Adams characterizes his catalogues "dull" and unchanged for about a decade now and reflects his plain unadorned nature and character. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library, Special Collection, The Chapman Family Correspondence Archive.

                At the 1912 Convention held at Rochester, New York he read a paper on Encased Postage Stamps. Also, at that 1912 Convention, Green opposed the idea of renumbering the ANA members after a member had dropped out. Green sold one of the Charles Morris Collections in Chicago that September 1912, and it was reported in The Numismatist.
Fig. 
20. Wrapper from Ben Green's shipment of coins postmarked October 29, 1912, Chicago, Illinois, with double oval cancels Registered Mail, sent to the noted collector C. W. Merritt of Norway, Iowa. Courtesy Lupia Numismatic Library.

        In 1913, he was elected to the Board of Governors of the ANA by a vote of 381 in favor. That was pretty good considering Judson Brenner received 384 and Howard Rounds Newcomb 383.  Ben Green was well liked and respected throughout his tenure in the field of numismatics. It is a pity his role as a member of the Board of Governors of the ANA was cut short by his untimely death. Also, in 1913, he was elected a corresponding member of the ANS.

Fig. 21. Close-up of Green's final ANA Annual Convention photo at Detroit, Michigan. The Numismatist, October, 1913, page 518.

        He died on January 17, 1914 of typhoid pneumonia eight years after the time Typhoid Annie (Mary Mallon 1869-1838) spread the disease in New York in 1906. He was buried on January 20, 1914, in the Rose Hill Cemetery. His death certificate reports his occupation as a salesman of physicians' supplies. He was survived by his wife Minnie and daughter Mabel, his parents Thomas Green (1832-1919), and Sarah Jane Preston Green (1836-1926) who were to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary in February, his older brother William (1853-) and two sisters: Mrs. Carrie Belle Jones (1866-1953) and Cynthia (1855-).
            The Rochester Numismatic Association passed a resolution on January 26, 1914 to produce a memorial page in the minutes of the Society honoring Ben G. Green. Similarly, the ANA meeting held in August 1914 a testimonial was given to deceased members in recognition for their work, Ben G. Green and Sylvester Sage Crosby.

Fig. 22. Minnie Green's ad for the liquidation of the estate of her late husband in the March 1914 issue of The NumismatistCourtesy Lupia Numismatic Library. The 2,125 lots eventually were sold in three auctions held by Edward Michael. Other items sold privately are unaccounted for but surely took place.

Fig. 23. Edward Michael's ad announcing the sale of Green's estate to be held on May 9th 1914 in the May issue of The NumismatistCourtesy Lupia Numismatic Library. Catalogue of the . . . stock of the late Ben G. Green including his private collection of encased postage stamps and Masonic pennies; to be sold at public auction 

Saturday, May-9, 1914. Comprising 765 lots.


Fig. 24. Edward Michael's ad announcing the second sale of Green's estate to be held late June 1914 in the June issue of The NumismatistCourtesy Lupia Numismatic Library. The auction was held on June 27, 1914 comprising 739 lots. A third and final auction was held September 26, 1914 comprising 621 lots.

        His collection and stock from his estate were sold through Edward Michael (1893-1965?) in May, June and September 1914. Mr. Michael, like Ed Cogan, an Englishman immigrated to America, was a well respected coin and stamp dealer of Chicago.  Fred Michael (1874-1921) dissolved his partnership with his brother Ed in the firm of Fred Michael & Brother in March 1913 though the auctions began the previous September bearing only Edward's name. 
           After the death of her husband Minnie E. Green moved with her daughter Mable to 43 Magnolia Street, Chicago, Illinois, according to the 1920 U.S. Census. In the 1930 Census she and her daughter bought a house at 184 Greenleaf Street, Chicago, Illinois.

Auction Sales (84)
001. February 20, 1902, 613 lots, Charles S. Chaplin
002. May 29, 1902
003. October 15, 1902
004. January 31, 1903
005. May 9, 1903
006. July 18, 1903
007. October 24, 1903
008. January 20, 1904
009. April 16, 1904
010. June 30, 1904
011. September 17, 1904
012. November 12, 1904
013. January 14, 1905
014. February 18, 1905
015. April 8, 1905
016. May 13, 1905
017. June 17, 1905
018. September 16, 1905
019. November 11, 1905
020. January 12, 1906
021. March 9, 1906
022. April 27, 1906
023. May 25, 1906
024. June 29, 1906
025. September 28, 1906
026. October 26, 1906
027. November 30, 1906
028. January 25, 1907
029. March 8, 1907
030. April 19, 1907
031. May 31, 1907
032. September 3, 1907, 1st ANA Sale ever!
033. October 18, 1907, Hal A. Day, Will Beckwith
034. November 8, 1907
035. December 13, 1907
036. January 31, 1908
037. February 28, 1908
038. March 27, 1908
039. April 24, 1908
040. May 22, 1908
041. June 19, 1908
042. September 11, 1908
043. October 23, 1908
044. November 27, 1908
045. January 15, 1909
046. March 12, 1909
047. April 16, 1909
 048. June 18, 1909
049. October 8, 1909
050. December 10, 1909
051. February 18, 1910
052. April 8, 1910
053. May 13, 1910
054. June 10, 1910
055. September 23, 1910
056. November 11, 1910
057. December 16, 1910
058. January 27, 1911
059. February 24, 1911
060. March 31, 1911
061. May 12, 1911
062. July 14, 1911
063. August 30, 1911. Green's 2d ANA Sale
064. October 13, 1911
065. December 8, 1911
066. February 16, 1912
067. March 29, 1912
068. May 4, 1912
069. June 1, 1912
070. July 26, 1912 Julius Huber
071. July 27, 1912 Charles Morris Part 1
072. September 13, 1912 Charles Morris Part 2
073. October 25, 1912 Charles Morris Part 3
074. December 13, 1912 Charles Morris Part 4
075. January 31, 1913 Charles Morris Part 5
076. February 1, 1913 J. B. Johnson
077. March 28, 1913 Charles Morris Part 6
078. April 25, 1913 Charles Morris Part 7
079. June 4, 1913 Charles Morris Part 8
080. July 18, 1913 Charles Morris Part 9
081. October 10, 1913 Charles Morris Part 10
082. November 7, 1913, Chicago Numismatic Society
083. November 28, 1913, 753 lots.
084 January 23, 1914, 755 lots. Sold posthumously.

Bibliography:
The Numismatist, Vol. XIV, No. 5, May (1901) : 131
A. R. Frey, The Numismatist Vol. XV, No. 8, August (1902) : 249 citation on Green's book
Chicago Daily Tribune, September 26, 1902, page 9. Notice of Green's office Masonic Temple.
The Numismatist Vol. XV, No. 10, October (1902) : 313 notice about his salesroom Masonic Temple
Ben G. Green, "The Coventry Half Penny Token, Poem England 1792," The Numismatist, Vol. 17 (1904) : 77
Ben G. Green"The Chicago Numismatic Society,"  The Numismatist June (1905) : 179
Ben G. Green"Necessity Money,"  The Numismatist, Vol. 18 (1905) : 307
"The Chicago Numismatic Society," The Philatelic West, Vol. 31, No. 1, August 31 (1905) : 3d leaf after masthead page.
"Ben G. Green," The Numismatist, July (1906) : 248-249.  reprint from Inter-Ocean, Sunday, December 24, 1905, page 26.
"To Sell Rare Trade Dollar. Coin Dated 1884 Said To Be The Only One In Existence," The New York Times, Sunday, November 22, 1908, page 13
"Watch For the 1884 Trade Dollar," The Hartford Republican, Friday, December 4, 1908, page 1.
"Ben G. Green," The Numismatist February (1914) : 68 obit
Farran Zerbe, "A Tribute to Ben G. Green", The Numismatist February (1914) : 69 obit
American Journal of Numismatics (1914) : lviii
"Trade Notes," Mekeels Weekly Stamp News, Volume 28, April 4 (1914) : 129 announcement of Ed Michael as cataloger for auction.
"Ben G. Green," The Numismatist March (1914) : 135
Robert H. Lloyd, "A Suggested Classification," published in The Numismatist, (1928)
John W. Adams, United States Numismatic Literature, Volume II (Crestline, 1990) : 17-24
Charles Davis, American Numismatic Literature, (1992) : 92, Nos. 449-451
Pete Smith, American Numismatic Biographies, 104
Pete Smith, "Green Started Chicago Numismatic Society," The Numismatist, August (1999) : 920-22
Martin Gengerke, American Numismatic Auctions (2009)

    

Comments